It’s cooking time again – and we have another winner from one of our fave recipe developers – Anina Meyer! This one makes a great lunch or dinner dish, and takes 10 minutes to put together, so it’s super easy, no matter your culinary skills levels.
“Today’s recipe is such a versatile concept. Veggie bowls aren’t new, but we’ve seen it jump straight up on the trend scale that we simply have to explore it more closely. I decided to make my veggie bowl with spicy maple roasted sweet potato wedges, a couscous and spinach pilau, tomato salsa and a gorgeous avocado rose” says Anina.
Spicy Sweet Potato and Couscous Veggie Bowl
Prep Time: 10 min
Cooking Time: 40 min
● 2 large sweet potatoes peeled and sliced into wedges
● 3 tablespoons olive oil
● 2 teaspoons Moroccan spice
● 2 tablespoons maple syrup
● 2 tablespoons olive oil
● 1 onion finely chopped
● 2 teaspoons crushed garlic
● 2 cups baby spinach washed
● 1 cup cooked couscous
● 2 tomatoes finely chopped
● 1 teaspoon chili flakes
● 1 avocado halved
1. Heat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius, place the sweet potato wedges in an oven safe baking tray.
2. Drizzle with olive oil, spices and maple syrup. Roast until tender for 40 minutes.
3. In a saucepan, heat the next bit of olive oil and saute the onion and garlic until translucent.
4. Add the spinach and cook until wilted. Add the cooked couscous and mix through in the pan.
Remove and set aside.
5. Cut the tomatoes fine and mix with the chili flakes. Set aside.
6. Place each half of avocado facing down (pit side down) and slice fine lengthwise. Use your fingers to lengthen the avo into a long line, working from one end – through the middle – to the other end. Roll the avo from one end into a circle, making a shape of a rose.
7. Build your veggie bowl by adding sweet potato wedges, couscous and spinach pilau, tomato salsa and your avo rose. Top with a squeeze of fresh lime juice and serve.
Hello Joburg was first published in April 1980 as a monthly restaurant and entertainment magazine. Over the years we have developed a network of patriotic Joburgers that love nothing more than sharing their experiences in this beautiful city!