Okay, so they say the way to someone’s heart is through their tummy – and the team at All Gold agree wholeheartedly!
Cooking is love made tangible – no matter what you make, or how you make it – it’s the thought that counts. We know that no one wants to spend hours slaving over a hot stove, so All Gold have come to the rescue with this delectable Italian-styled dish that takes only 35 minutes to prepare. Done and done!
Here is a great little romantic something – picture this – café style; lay the table with a chequered red-and-white tablecloth, light the candles and turn up the Michael Bublé music for your romantic night in!
This Penne with Vodka Sauce and Bacon dish is simple, delectable and crammed with all that All Gold goodness for that proudly-South African twist. Guaranteed to taste real good, like good food should!
Penne with Vodka Sauce and Bacon
· Makes 6 portions
· Preparation Time: 35 minutes
500 g Fatti’s & Moni’s penne pasta
500 g Enterprise Bacon Bits
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, crushed
125 ml (½ cup) vodka
1 can (410 g) ALL GOLD Mediterranean Style Diced Tomatoes
65 ml (¼ cup) cream
10 ml (2 tsps) Holbrook’s Worcestershire Sauce
5 ml (1 tsp) chilli flakes
5 ml (1 tsp) ground coriander
65 ml (¼ cup) chopped fresh basil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook penne until just tender, 12 minutes, or according to package directions.
2. Meanwhile, cook bacon in a large saucepan over medium heat until crisp, about four minutes. Drain on a paper towel.
3. Add onion and garlic, cook in bacon fat until onion is transparent, about one minute.
4. Increase heat to high; add vodka and bring to a boil.
5. Boil until reduced by about half, approximately two minutes.
6. Stir in ALL GOLD Mediterranean Style Diced Tomatoes, cream, Holbrook’s Worcestershire sauce, chilli flakes and coriander to taste.
7. Reduce to a simmer and cook until thickened, about 10 minutes.
8. Drain pasta.
Chef’s Tip: Serve pasta topped with the sauce and sprinkled with bacon, basil and freshly ground black pepper.
For more tasty recipes, crammed full of goodness, which taste real good, visit All Gold’s website
Hello Joburg was first published in April 1980 as a monthly restaurant and entertainment magazine. Over the years we have developed a network of patriotic Joburgers that love nothing more than sharing their experiences in this beautiful city!